FORT WORTH & DENVER
COMBINATION RAILWAY POST OFFICE & BAGGAGE CAR #34
This is a combination Railway Post Office (R.P.O.) - Baggage Car, built by the Standard Steel Car Company in November, 1922, that operated its entire service life through Wichita Falls. It was part of the consist of the last Texas Zephyr on September 11, 1967. Following the loss of the passenger service, the car was made into tool car X-320 and lost its Pullman green to become Maintenance of Way (MOW) orange. The #34 was retired by the BN in 1986 and was bought by Mr. Jack Helmcamp of Wichita Falls. Mr. Helmcamp donated the car to the museum in 1987. It is the only FW&D mail-baggage combine to survive.
Return to the WFRRM home Page.
© Wichita Falls Railroad Museum